Greetings to all Mac users out there! Are you one of those people who have been experiencing issues with Zoom and decided that it’s time to uninstall it from your device? Look no further because we’ve got you covered!
In this article, we will walk you through the step-by-step process of uninstalling Zoom on your Mac. We understand that some readers might find it daunting, but worry not as we have created this guide to ensure a seamless and hassle-free experience. So without further ado, let’s jump right into the steps!
Step 1: Quit Zoom and Disable Automatic Launch
First and foremost, you need to quit Zoom on your Mac. On the top left corner of your screen, click “Zoom” and select “Quit Zoom”. You can also disable Zoom’s automatic launch by launching the app, clicking on “Zoom.us” on the top left corner, and selecting “Preferences”. From there, navigate to “General” and untick the box that says “Open Zoom when I start my computer.”
Step 2: Delete Zoom from Applications Folder
To uninstall Zoom from your Mac, you need to delete it completely from your Applications folder. To do so, navigate to Finder and select “Applications” on the left sidebar. From there, look for Zoom.app and drag it to the Trash bin. Alternatively, you can right-click on Zoom and select “Move to Trash”.
Step 3: Delete Zoom Configuration Files from Library Folder
After deleting Zoom from your Applications folder, you also need to delete its configuration files. To do so, navigate to Finder and select “Go” on the top left corner of your screen. From there, click “Go to Folder” and type in this path: ~/Library/Application Support/. Look for the folder named “Zoom.us” and drag it to the Trash bin.
Step 4: Delete Zoom Configuration Folders from Library Folder
In addition to deleting the Zoom configuration files, you also need to delete its configuration folders. To do so, navigate to Finder and select “Go” on the top left corner of your screen. From there, click “Go to Folder” and type in this path: ~/Library/Preferences/. Look for the following folders and drag them to the Trash bin:
Step 5: Delete Zoom Plug-ins
If you have installed Zoom plug-ins, you also need to delete them. To do so, navigate to Finder and select “Go” on the top left corner of your screen. From there, click “Go to Folder” and type in this path: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/. Look for the following files and drag them to the Trash bin:
Step 6: Remove Zoom Audio Device from Audio MIDI Setup
If you have installed Zoom Audio Device, you need to remove it from your Audio MIDI Setup. Go to Spotlight and search for “Audio MIDI Setup”. From there, select “ZoomAudioDevice” and click the “-” button on the bottom left corner of the screen.
Step 7: Remove Zoom Kernel Extensions
If you have installed Zoom kernel extensions, you need to remove them. Go to Spotlight and search for “Terminal”. From there, type in the following commands:
– sudo kextunload -b us.zoom.driver.ZoomAudioDevice
– sudo kextunload -b us.zoom.driver.ZoomVideoDevice
Step 8: Remove Zoom Screen Sharing from Accessibility
If you have enabled Zoom Screen Sharing in your Accessibility settings, you need to remove it. Go to System Preferences and select “Security & Privacy”, then navigate to “Privacy”. From there, select “Screen Recording” on the left sidebar and look for “Zoom.us” on the list. Untick the box next to it.
Step 9: Remove Zoom Chat History and Files
If you have saved any Zoom chat history and files, you need to remove them. To do so, navigate to Finder and select “Go” on the top left corner of your screen. From there, click “Go to Folder” and type in this path: ~/Documents/Zoom/. From there, delete any files or folders that you have saved.
Step 10: Restart Your Mac
After completing all the previous steps, you need to restart your Mac to make sure that the changes have taken effect.
Step 11: Verify That Zoom Has Been Completely Removed
To verify that Zoom has been completely removed from your Mac, you can use Spotlight and search for “Zoom”. If the app and its files do not appear in the search results, then you have successfully uninstalled Zoom.
Step 12: Optional – Clean Your Mac with Third-Party Apps
If you want to ensure that your Mac is running smoothly, you can use third-party apps to clean up any remaining files or caches. Some examples are CleanMyMac X, DaisyDisk, and AppCleaner.
Now that we have covered the step-by-step process of uninstalling Zoom on your Mac, let’s dive deeper into why each step is necessary.
Step 1 is crucial because quitting Zoom ensures that it is not running in the background while you uninstall it. Disabling its automatic launch also prevents it from starting up when you turn on your Mac.
Step 2 is straightforward – deleting the app from your Applications folder ensures that the app itself is no longer present on your device.
Steps 3 and 4 are necessary because configuration files and folders can take up storage space on your Mac and potentially cause issues in the future.
Step 5 involves removing any Zoom plug-ins that you may have installed, as they can also take up storage space and potentially cause issues.
Step 6 involves removing Zoom Audio Device, which is unnecessary once you have uninstalled the app itself.
Step 7 is important because kernel extensions can cause issues with your Mac’s performance if they are not properly uninstalled.
Step 8 involves removing Zoom Screen Sharing from your Accessibility settings to ensure that it no longer has access to your device.
Step 9 involves removing any chat history and files that may be taking up storage space on your Mac.
Step 10 involves restarting your Mac to ensure that all the changes have taken effect.
Step 11 is optional but recommended, as it ensures that Zoom has been completely removed from your device. Using third-party apps to clean up any remaining files or caches can also improve your Mac’s performance.
Tips and Tricks
Tip 1: Check for Any Zoom Updates
Before uninstalling Zoom, make sure to check for any updates. Updating to the latest version may solve any issues that you are experiencing.
Tip 2: Use AppCleaner for a More Thorough Uninstallation
AppCleaner is a third-party app that can help you remove any remaining files associated with Zoom. It is a free app and easy to use.
Tip 3: Be Careful When Deleting Files from Library Folder
When deleting files from your Library folder, make sure that you are only deleting the files associated with Zoom to avoid deleting any important system files.
Tip 4: Backup Any Important Files Before Uninstalling Zoom
If you have any important files that you have saved on Zoom, make sure to back them up before uninstalling the app.
Tip 5: Restart Your Mac After Every Step
To ensure that each step is completed successfully, we recommend restarting your Mac after completing each step.
Tip 6: Check for Any Other Video-Conferencing Apps That May Be Causing Issues
If you are still experiencing issues with video-conferencing on your Mac, check for any other video-conferencing apps that may be causing issues and uninstall them as well.
Tip 7: Use Activity Monitor to Check for Any Zoom Processes Running in the Background
If you suspect that Zoom is still running in the background, you can use Activity Monitor to check for any Zoom processes and force quit them.
Tip 8: Reset Your System Management Controller (SMC)
If you are still experiencing issues with your Mac even after uninstalling Zoom, you can try resetting your SMC. Consult Apple’s support website for instructions specific to your Mac model.
Tip 9: Contact Zoom Support for Technical Assistance
If you are still experiencing issues with Zoom or have encountered any problems during the uninstallation process, do not hesitate to contact Zoom support for technical assistance.
Tip 10: Consider Alternatives to Zoom
If you are no longer satisfied with Zoom’s performance, consider exploring other video-conferencing apps such as Skype, Google Meet, and Microsoft Teams.
In conclusion, we hope that this guide has been helpful in uninstalling Zoom on your Mac. Remember to follow each step carefully and to backup any important files before uninstalling the app. Happy conferencing!
Advantages and Disadvantages of Uninstalling Zoom on Mac
1. Free up space on your Mac – Zoom takes up a significant amount of disk space and uninstalling it can free up some space for other applications or files.
2. Improved performance – Uninstalling Zoom can help improve the overall performance of your Mac.
3. Reduce security risks – Zoom has had its fair share of security issues in the past, and uninstalling it can help reduce potential risks.
4. Helps declutter your desktop – Removing Zoom from your Mac desktop can help declutter and streamline your workspace.
5. Avoids distraction – If you find yourself distracted by endless Zoom meetings, uninstalling it can help you stay focused on other tasks.
6. Ensures privacy – Uninstalling Zoom can ensure that your personal information is not being collected or shared by the application.
7. Encourages in-person communication – Uninstalling Zoom can encourage people to communicate in-person, which can lead to stronger connections and better productivity.
8. Improves mental health – Constantly being on video conferencing calls can be mentally exhausting; uninstalling Zoom can help alleviate this issue.
9. Saves time – Uninstalling Zoom can save time by freeing up your schedule from unnecessary meetings and calls.
10. Helps prioritize tasks – Getting rid of Zoom can help you prioritize more important tasks instead of constantly attending meetings or video calls.
1. No access to video calls – Uninstalling Zoom completely eliminates your access to video calls done through the application.
2. Limits communication – Without Zoom, it may be more difficult to communicate with colleagues, family, or friends who use the application.
3. Missed opportunities – Uninstalling Zoom may mean that you miss out on important meetings or calls that require the application.
4. Non-standard communication – If most of your peers use Zoom to communicate, uninstalling it may result in non-standard communication and potential confusion.
5. Difficulties in remote work – Zoom is a staple for many remote workers, and uninstalling it may cause difficulties in working from home or remotely.
6. Potential for isolation – With less video conferencing, there is a possibility of feeling isolated from colleagues or friends without other forms of communication.
7. Reduced collaboration – Uninstalling Zoom may reduce collaboration between teammates on projects or assignments outside of scheduled meetings.
8. Strain on social networks – If social networks depend on Zoom, uninstalling it may strain these relationships and make it harder to stay in touch.
9. Reduced job opportunities – In some industries, familiarity with Zoom or other video conferencing tools is essential for job opportunities or advancement.
10. Limits learning opportunities – Without Zoom, some educational or learning opportunities may be limited.
1. Why do I want to uninstall Zoom from my Mac?
There could be a variety of reasons why you want to uninstall Zoom on your Mac. Perhaps you found another online meeting software that works better for you, or you’re concerned about privacy and security issues that have been associated with Zoom.
2. Is uninstalling Zoom from my Mac difficult?
No, it’s actually quite easy to uninstall Zoom from your Mac. You just need to follow a few simple steps.
3. What are the steps to uninstall Zoom on a Mac?
The steps to uninstall Zoom on a Mac are:
- Close the Zoom app if it’s running.
- Open Finder and navigate to the Applications folder.
- Find the Zoom app and drag it to the Trash or right-click on it and select “Move to Trash”.
- Right-click on the Trash icon in your dock and select “Empty Trash”.
4. Will uninstalling Zoom delete my meeting recordings?
No, uninstalling Zoom will not delete your meeting recordings. However, you should still make sure to backup your recordings to another location before uninstalling the app.
5. What happens if I uninstall Zoom while I am in a meeting?
If you uninstall Zoom while you are in a meeting, your connection will be terminated immediately, and you will be disconnected from the meeting. You won’t be able to rejoin the meeting unless you reinstall the app.
6. Can I still join Zoom meetings after uninstalling the app from my Mac?
No, you won’t be able to join Zoom meetings from your Mac if you have uninstalled the app. You will need to reinstall the app to join meetings again.
7. Does uninstalling Zoom from my Mac also uninstall the browser extension?
No, uninstalling Zoom from your Mac will not uninstall the browser extension. You will need to remove the browser extension separately if you no longer want it on your browser.
8. How do I remove the Zoom browser extension from my browser?
The steps to remove the Zoom browser extension are:
- Open your browser and go to the extension settings.
- Find the Zoom extension and select “Remove” or “Uninstall”.
- Restart your browser to apply the changes.
9. Can I still use Zoom through my browser after uninstalling the app?
Yes, you can still use Zoom through your browser even if you have uninstalled the app. You just need to go to the Zoom website and log in to join or host meetings.
10. Will uninstalling Zoom affect my account or subscription?
No, uninstalling Zoom from your Mac will not affect your account or subscription. You can still access your Zoom account and subscription through the website or the mobile app.
11. Will uninstalling Zoom on my Mac also uninstall it from my other devices?
No, uninstalling Zoom from your Mac will only uninstall it from your Mac. You will need to uninstall it separately from your other devices if you want to remove it from those devices as well.
12. How do I reinstall Zoom on my Mac if I change my mind?
The steps to reinstall Zoom on your Mac are:
- Go to the Zoom website and download the latest version of the app for Mac.
- Open the downloaded file and follow the prompts to install the app.
- Launch the Zoom app and sign in to your account.
13. Are there any alternatives to Zoom that I can use on my Mac?
Yes, there are many other online meeting software that you can use on your Mac, such as Google Meet, Microsoft Teams, Skype, and Webex.
Zoom is one of the most popular video conferencing applications. It is widely used by people from all over the world to conduct meetings, webinars, and online classes. However, sometimes people face issues with Zoom and want to uninstall it from their Mac. If you are also one of them, then you are in the right place. In this article, we will guide you on how to uninstall Zoom from your Mac.
Steps to Uninstall Zoom on Mac
If you want to uninstall Zoom from your Mac, then you can follow the steps given below:
- Open the “Finder” on your Mac.
- Click on “Applications” in the left sidebar.
- Locate and drag the “Zoom” app from the Applications folder to the Trash.
- Right-click on the Trash and select “Empty Trash” to permanently delete the app.
That’s it! You have successfully uninstalled Zoom from your Mac. However, keep in mind that uninstalling Zoom will delete all the associated files and data from your Mac.
In this article, we have discussed how to uninstall Zoom on Mac. As we have mentioned earlier, Zoom is one of the most popular video conferencing applications, but sometimes people face issues with it. If you are also facing issues with Zoom, then you can follow the steps mentioned above to uninstall it from your Mac. However, before uninstalling Zoom, make sure to save any important data related to it.
Thank you for reading this article. We hope that it has provided you with some valuable information on how to uninstall Zoom from your Mac. If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to leave them in the comments section below. Goodbye and have a great day!