Do you feel bored with the default folder icon on your Mac? You can easily change it to your preferred icon! In this article, we will show you how to change folder icon on Mac step-by-step. By following our guide, you can personalize the look of your folders and make them more appealing.
Steps to Change Folder Icon on Mac
Step 1: Choose the folder you want to change the icon of
The first thing you need to do is choose the folder you want to change the icon of. You can choose any folder on your Mac, including the ones in the Documents, Desktop, Downloads, or any other directory.
Step 2: Find an image you want to use as the new icon
Next, find an image you want to use as the new icon. You can choose any image file on your Mac, such as JPG, PNG, or GIF, as long as it has the resolution of at least 512×512 pixels.
Step 3: Open Preview
Now, open Preview, the default image viewer app on Mac.
Step 4: Copy your chosen image
Go to File>Open and select the image you want to use as your new folder icon. Then, go to Edit>Copy or use Command+C to copy the image.
Step 5: Open the Get Info window of the folder
Right-click on the folder you want to change the icon of and select Get Info. Alternatively, you can select the folder and use Command+I.
Step 6: Select the current folder icon
In the Get Info window, click on the small folder icon at the top left corner of the window and it will be highlighted.
Step 7: Paste the new image on the folder icon
Use Command+V to paste the copied image onto the old folder icon. Alternatively, you can right-click on the highlighted icon and select Paste.
Step 8: Adjust the new icon size
If the new icon is too big or too small, you can adjust its size by clicking on the new icon and using the slider at the bottom right corner of the Get Info window.
Step 9: Close the Get Info Window
Once you are satisfied with the new folder icon, close the Get Info window by clicking on the red button at the top left corner of the window.
Step 10: Refresh the Finder window
You may need to refresh the Finder window to see the new icon. Use Command+R to refresh the Finder window or right-click on the desktop and select Refresh.
Step 11: Enjoy your personalized folder icon
Congratulations! You have successfully changed the folder icon on your Mac. Now you can enjoy your personalized folder icon.
Step 12: Repeat the process for other folders
If you want to change the icon of other folders, simply repeat the process from Step 1 to Step 11 for each folder.
Changing the folder icon on Mac is pretty straightforward. By following the 12 steps in our guide, you can easily personalize the look of your folders. Here are some explanations on the steps:
Choosing the folder
You can choose any folder on your Mac to change the icon of. It can be the default system folders like Documents, Desktop, and Downloads, or folders that you’ve created yourself.
The image you use as the new folder icon must have the resolution of at least 512×512 pixels. If the image resolution is smaller, the icon may appear blurry or pixelated.
You can use any image format, such as JPG, PNG, or GIF. However, using a PNG image is recommended as it supports transparent backgrounds.
Preview is the default image viewer app on Mac. It allows you to view, edit, and save images. You can use it to open and copy your chosen image.
Pasting the image onto the folder icon
Pasting your chosen image onto the folder icon replaces the old icon with the new one. You can adjust the size of the new icon to your preference.
Tips and Tricks
1. Use high-quality images
Using high-quality images can make your folders look more appealing. Choose images that have the resolution of at least 512×512 pixels and are clear and sharp.
2. Create your own icons
You can create your own icons by using image editing software like Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop. This way, you can make your icons unique and personalized.
3. Use icons pack
You can download icons pack from the internet to use as your folder icons. There are many websites that offer free icons pack that you can use on your Mac.
4. Backup your folders
Make sure to backup your folders before changing the icon, in case something goes wrong. You can use Time Machine or other backup software to backup your folders.
5. Organize your folders
Organize your folders by putting them in categories and naming them accordingly. This will make it easier for you to find your folders and add more personalization to your Mac.
6. Use Emoji
You can use emojis as your folder icon to make them more fun and expressive. To do this, simply copy the emoji and paste it onto the folder icon.
7. Revert back to the old icon
If you don’t like the new folder icon, you can always revert back to the old one by following the same steps and selecting the old icon.
8. Use third-party apps
There are many third-party apps that allow you to change the folder icon on Mac with more ease and flexibility. Some popular apps include LiteIcon and FolderIcon X.
9. Share your custom icons
If you have created your own icons or downloaded icons pack, share them with others. You can upload them to websites like DeviantArt or IconArchive.
10. Be creative!
Have fun with personalizing your Mac by changing the folder icon. Be creative and experiment with different images and icons.
That’s it, folks! We hope this article has helped you on how to change folder icon on Mac. Don’t be afraid to personalize your Mac and make it truly your own. Happy customizing!
Advantages and Disadvantages of Changing Folder Icon on Mac
1. Personalization – Changing the folder icon on Mac allows you to personalize your folders according to your preference.
2. Easy Identification – With custom folder icons, it is easier for you to distinguish one folder from another and locate a specific file quickly.
3. Aesthetic Appeal – Customizing your folder icons can make your computer look more visually appealing, which can be a significant advantage if you use your computer for creative work.
4. Organizational Benefits – Customized folder icons can help improve organization by categorizing files according to their function, color, or specific project.
5. Convenient – Changing folder icons can be a convenient way of quickly locating essential files and folders, eliminating confusion and frustration associated with lost files.
6. Educational – By changing folder icons, you learn about Mac customization features that you can use in the future to improve your computer experience.
7. Fun – Customizing folder icons can be a fun way to express your creativity, and it can improve your mood and productivity.
8. Attraction – If some applications are attractive but lack icons, use folder icons of your choice to appeal to your aesthetic needs.
9. Saves Time – Changing folder icons can be a perfect time saver when in a hurry to finish up a project or locate files easily.
10. Unique – Adding your custom icons makes your folders look unique, which can help you stand out in your work, class, or personal projects.
1. Time Consuming – Customizing folder icons can be a time-consuming process, especially if you have many folders that need icons.
2. Technically Challenging – Some individuals without technical knowledge might find it difficult to customize folder icons on their Mac computers.
3. Irreversible – Changing folder icons is not a reversible process; therefore, you have to be sure that you want to make the change.
4. Can Affect Performance – If you add multiple high-resolution icons, you might affect your computer’s performance, especially if you have an older Mac.
5. Limited Icon Customization – You might not be able to customize the icons of some files in your Mac, which may limit your ability to have a uniform look for all of your files.
6. Possible Compatibility Issues – Some custom icons may not work correctly with your computer’s OS, leading to compatibility issues.
7. Confusion – If you use custom folder icons that are too different from the default icons, it may cause confusion when sharing files with others who are not familiar with your customized folder icons.
8. Over-Reliance – Overuse of custom folder icons may cause you to become too reliant on them, and you may end up forgetting how to locate files without the custom icons.
9. Distracting – Using too many custom icons can be visually distracting and clutter your computer interface, leading to decreased productivity.
10. Limited Benefits – While customizing folder icons can be fun, the benefits are limited in terms of productivity, and you might end up wasting valuable time that you could have spent working on a project.
1. Can I change the folder icon on my Mac?
Yes, you can change the folder icon on your Mac by following these simple steps.
2. How do I select a custom icon for my folder?
You can either choose an image from your Mac or download a custom image from the internet and save it to your computer.
3. What format does the custom image need to be in?
The custom image needs to be in the PNG, JPEG, TIFF, or GIF format.
4. How do I select a new icon for my folder?
Right-click on the folder you want to change, select “Get Info,” click on the folder icon in the Info window, and drag the custom image to the folder icon.
5. Can I change multiple folder icons at once?
Yes, you can change multiple folder icons at once by selecting all the folders you want to change, right-clicking on them, selecting “Get Info,” and dragging the custom image to the folder icon.
6. How do I remove the custom icon and go back to the default one?
Follow the same steps as selecting a new icon, but instead of dragging a custom image, click on the folder icon in the Info window and press “Delete” on your keyboard.
7. Can I use a picture I took with my camera as my folder icon?
Yes, as long as the picture is saved on your computer and is in the PNG, JPEG, TIFF, or GIF format.
8. What is the recommended size for a custom folder icon?
The recommended size for a custom folder icon is 512×512 pixels.
9. Can I customize the icon of the default folders such as Documents and Downloads?
Yes, you can customize the icon of the default folders by following the same steps as selecting a new icon.
10. Can I change the icon of a shortcut folder?
No, you cannot change the icon of a shortcut folder as it will also change the icon of the original folder.
11. Can I change the icon of a network drive?
No, you cannot change the icon of a network drive as it depends on the server where the drive is located.
12. Why do I see a preview of the folder contents when I select a new icon?
This is a feature of Mac OS that allows you to see a preview of the folder contents before selecting the new icon.
13. Will changing the folder icon affect the files and folders inside the folder?
No, changing the folder icon will not affect the files and folders inside the folder. It is simply a cosmetic change.
How to Change Folder Icon on Mac
Are you bored with the default blue folder icon on your Mac? Do you want to customize your folder icon to make it more personal and unique? If so, you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we will show you how to change folder icon on Mac in just a few easy steps.
Conclusion and Closing
Changing folder icon on Mac is a simple and fun way to customize your desktop and make it your own. Whether you want to use one of the built-in icons or create your own, the process is easy and straightforward. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can change any folder icon on your Mac in just a few minutes.
So what are you waiting for? Start exploring the different options for customizing your folder icons today. Whether you’re a creative professional, a student, or just someone who wants to add a little bit of personal flair to their desktop, there are plenty of ways to make your Mac your own. We hope this article has been helpful, and we wish you all the best in your folder icon customization endeavors. See you next time!