Welcome to the world of Mac! As an Apple user, you might have already discovered some of the amazing features that this operating system has to offer. One of the most basic, yet versatile features is the ability to change the desktop background. In this article, we will guide you through 12 easy steps on how to change desktop background on Mac. We’ll also provide additional explanations and tips to help you customize your desktop to its fullest potential.
Step 1: Open System Preferences
To start, click on the Apple icon on the top-left corner of your screen and select “System Preferences” from the drop-down menu. Alternatively, you can search for “System Preferences” in the Spotlight search bar.
Step 2: Select Desktop & Screen Saver
Once you’ve opened the System Preferences window, look for the “Desktop & Screen Saver” option and click on it.
Step 3: Choose a Desktop Background
In the Desktop & Screen Saver window, you’ll see a number of preset desktop background options on the left-hand side. Choose one of the options to see a preview of what it would look like on your desktop.
Step 4: Add a Favourite Folder
If you have a specific folder of pictures you would like to use as your desktop background, you can simply click on the “+” button at the bottom of the left-hand sidebar and select the folder you would like to add.
Step 5: Adjust the Picture Position
Once you’ve selected the picture you want to use as your desktop background, you can choose how it will be displayed on your screen. The options include “Fill Screen,” “Fit to Screen,” “Center,” and “Tile.” Experiment with these options to see which one suits you best.
Step 6: Add a Screen Saver
When you’re finished setting up your desktop background, you can also choose a new screen saver by navigating to the “Screen Saver” tab on the right-hand side of the Desktop & Screen Saver window.
Step 7: Preview the Screen Saver
Once you’ve chosen a screen saver option, click on the “Screen Saver Options” button to preview the settings.
Step 8: Customize the Screen Saver Settings
From here, you can customize the settings for your screen saver. You can set the time after which the screensaver will activate, choose the transition style, and enable/disable music.
Step 9: Save Your Settings
Once you’re satisfied with your selections, click on “Save” to apply your new desktop background and screen saver settings.
Step 10: Use a Shortcut Key
If you’d like to quickly change your desktop background or screen saver, use the shortcut key “Ctrl + Shift + Eject” or “Ctrl + Shift + Power” to activate the screen saver immediately.
Step 11: Change Your Desktop Background with Time
If you’re someone who likes to change their desktop background frequently, you can also set your Mac to automatically change the background every few minutes, hourly, daily, or weekly. Navigate to the “Desktop & Screen Saver” window, and select “Change picture” option, then select the time interval of your choice.
Step 12: Get Creative
Lastly, you can get creative and make your desktop background truly unique by exploring different themes, customizing colors, and adding widgets that display the weather, time, and more.
Changing your desktop background on Mac is an enjoyable and easy process. With just a few clicks, you can give your computer a whole new look. If you’re new to Mac, we hope these steps have provided you with a clear and easy-to-understand guide on how to change your desktop background. Additionally, knowing how to quickly access the System Preferences menu and use shortcut keys can save you time and hassle in the long-run.
Tips and Tricks
Tip 1: Use High-Quality Images
When selecting images for your desktop background, choose high-quality images with a high resolution. This will ensure that the picture looks sharp and doesn’t appear blurry or distorted.
Tip 2: Consider Your Desktop Icons
Be mindful of your desktop icons when selecting a new desktop background. If your icons are difficult to see against the background, consider changing the icon appearance or the background color.
Tip 3: Explore Third-Party Apps
There are third-party apps available that can help you customize your desktop even further. For example, Unsplash Wallpapers and Wallpaper Wizard offer stunning collections of wallpapers that update automatically.
Tip 4: Use Dynamic Desktops
Mac’s dynamic desktops adjust the wallpaper depending on the time of day. You can enable this feature by navigating to “Desktop & Screen Saver” and choosing a dynamic desktop from the options available.
Tip 5: Take Advantage of Customization Options
Mac offers a wide range of customization options that you can use to make your desktop truly unique. Experiment with different icons, fonts, and colors to create a desktop that reflects your personal style.
Tip 6: Use a Photo Collage
If you can’t decide on just one image for your desktop background, consider creating a photo collage using a photo editing app. You can then set the collage as your desktop background.
Tip 7: Keep Your Desktop Clutter-Free
Having too many files and icons on your desktop can make it look cluttered and disorganized. Keep your desktop organized by moving files to appropriate folders.
Tip 8: Use a Color Scheme
Using a color scheme for your desktop can give it a more cohesive look. Match your desktop background with your icon colors and other visual elements to create a consistent color scheme.
Tip 9: Get Inspired
Browse online for desktop background ideas and inspiration. You may come across some unique ideas that you can incorporate into your own customized desktop.
Tip 10: Have Fun
Most importantly, have fun and enjoy the process of customizing your desktop to your liking. Personalize it to reflect your personality and style, and make it a welcoming space that inspires creativity and productivity.
In conclusion, changing your desktop background on Mac is a quick and easy way to add some personal flair to your computer. With these simple steps, and additional tips and tricks, you can customize your desktop to your liking and show off your unique personality. So have fun, get creative, and make your desktop truly your own.
Advantages and Disadvantages of How to Change Desktop Background on Mac
1. Personalization: Changing your desktop background on a Mac allows you to personalize your computer to your liking and showcase your personality.
2. Enhance Creativity: Changing your desktop background on a Mac can inspire you and enhance your creativity.
3. Aesthetically Pleasing: Having a visually appealing desktop background can improve your mood and increase productivity.
4. Reduce Eye Strain: Changing your desktop background on a Mac can reduce eye strain and make it easier to focus on work for extended periods.
5. Increase Motivation: An inspiring desktop background can boost your motivation and remind you of your goals.
6. Easy to Do: Changing your desktop background on a Mac is a simple and straightforward process that can be done in a matter of seconds.
7. Accessible: There are countless options available for desktop backgrounds, making it easy to find something that suits your style and taste.
8. Customizable: You can choose from various styles and genres of desktop backgrounds and even create your own custom background.
9. Free: Changing your desktop background on a Mac is a free and accessible way to customize your computer.
10. Setting mood: Changing your desktop background on a Mac can set the mood for your workday or help you unwind when you’re taking a break.
1. Distractions: Changing your desktop background on a Mac can be distracting, especially if you opt for a visually stimulating or animated background.
2. Slow Down System: Changing the desktop background on a Mac frequently can slow down the system and take up unnecessary memory space.
3. Reduced Battery Life: If you choose a dynamic or animated desktop background on a Mac, it may require more system resources and reduce battery life.
4. Inappropriate Content: Choosing an inappropriate desktop background on a Mac can lead to embarrassment or even legal issues in a professional or public setting.
5. Loss of Focus: A cluttered or busy desktop background can cause loss of focus and decrease productivity.
6. Limited Customization: The options available for desktop backgrounds on a Mac may be limited compared to other operating systems.
7. Taste Dependent: Choosing a desktop background on a Mac is down to individual tastes, and not everyone may find your choice aesthetically pleasing.
8. Limited Theme: Changing your desktop background on a Mac may be limited to a particular theme or genre depending on your preference.
9. Additional Time Wasted: Changing your desktop background on a Mac can take additional time, which could be used for more productive tasks.
10. Technical difficulties: Changing your desktop background may give technical difficulties especially if your computer has a limited memory space.
1. How can I change my desktop background on Mac?
You can change your desktop background on Mac by going to System Preferences > Desktop & Screen Saver. From there, you can choose from the default wallpapers or select your own image.
2. Can I use my own picture as a desktop background?
Yes, you can use your own picture as a desktop background on Mac. Simply go to System Preferences > Desktop & Screen Saver and click on the + button to add your own image.
3. How do I change the desktop background to a solid color?
To change the desktop background to a solid color, go to System Preferences > Desktop & Screen Saver, click on the Solid Colors option and select the color you want.
4. How do I set my desktop background to change automatically?
To set your desktop background to change automatically, go to System Preferences > Desktop & Screen Saver, then click on the Desktop tab. Check the Change picture box and select the time interval you want.
5. Can I have different desktop backgrounds on multiple screens?
Yes, you can have different desktop backgrounds on multiple screens on Mac. Go to System Preferences > Desktop & Screen Saver, click on the Screensaver tab and check Mac OS X Screen Saver. Then, go to System Preferences > Mission Control and check Displays have separate Spaces. This will enable you to have different desktop backgrounds on multiple screens.
6. How do I remove a desktop background from my Mac?
To remove a desktop background from your Mac, go to System Preferences > Desktop & Screen Saver, select the image you want to remove and click on the – button.
7. Can I change my desktop background using a keyboard shortcut?
Yes, you can change your desktop background using a keyboard shortcut. Press Command + Shift + D to change to the default desktop background, or Command + Option + Control + 8 to invert the colors of your desktop background.
8. How do I set a picture as my login screen background?
To set a picture as your login screen background, open the image file in Preview, then go to File > Save As. Select JPEG as the format and save the file as /Library/Caches/com.apple.desktop.admin.png. This will set the picture as your login screen background.
9. How do I change the desktop background on macOS Catalina?
To change the desktop background on macOS Catalina, go to System Preferences > Desktop & Screen Saver and select the image you want to use.
10. Can I use animated GIFs as desktop backgrounds on Mac?
Yes, you can use animated GIFs as desktop backgrounds on Mac. Simply select the GIF file when setting the desktop background.
11. How do I reset my desktop background to the default image?
To reset your desktop background to the default image, go to System Preferences > Desktop & Screen Saver, select the Desktop tab and click on the Default button.
12. How do I set a different background for each desktop space?
To set a different background for each desktop space on Mac, go to System Preferences > Desktop & Screen Saver, click on the Screensaver tab and check Mac OS X Screen Saver. Then, go to System Preferences > Mission Control, select the desktop space you want to set a background for and choose a picture or color.
13. How do I turn off the desktop background on Mac?
To turn off the desktop background on Mac, go to System Preferences > Desktop & Screen Saver, select a solid color or a black image as the background, then uncheck the Change picture box.
How to Change Desktop Background on Mac
Want to change the desktop background on your Mac but don’t know how? Don’t worry, it’s a simple process that can completely transform the look and feel of your computer. Follow these easy steps to change your desktop background:
Changing the desktop background on your Mac is a quick and easy way to update your computer’s look and feel. Whether you want to use a stock image or your own personal photo, the process is simple and straightforward. By taking a few minutes to update your desktop background, you can refresh your workspace and boost your productivity.
It’s time to start customizing your Mac’s desktop background with your favorite pictures or artwork. The process is simple and easy to follow, so don’t hesitate to give it a try. By changing your desktop background, you can add a personal touch to your computer and enjoy a more enjoyable and productive experience. Thank you for reading and happy customizing!