When it comes to photo files, a common format you may come across is HEIC. This format is commonly used by Apple devices and provides high-quality images. However, not all devices or programs may be compatible with HEIC files. In such cases, you may need to convert the file to another format, such as JPEG. If you’re using a Mac computer, you may wonder how to change a HEIC to JPEG on Mac. Well, in this article, we’ll guide you through the steps and provide some helpful tips and information along the way.
Step 1: Open the HEIC File
To convert a HEIC file to JPEG on Mac, you’ll first need to locate and open the HEIC file you want to convert. You can do this by double-clicking on the file or right-clicking and selecting “Open With”.
Step 2: Select “Preview” as the Program
Once you’ve opened the HEIC file, select the “Preview” program as the application to use to open the file.
Step 3: Click “File” in the Menu Bar
In the menu bar at the top of the screen, click “File” to open a dropdown menu.
Step 4: Select “Export”
From the dropdown menu, select “Export”. This will bring up the Export options window.
Step 5: Choose JPEG as the Format
In the Export options window, choose “JPEG” as the format you want to export the file as. You can also adjust the quality of the image in this window if desired.
Step 6: Select a Destination Folder
Choose a destination folder where you want to save the JPEG file.
Step 7: Click “Save”
Once you’ve selected the destination folder and chosen the JPEG format, click “Save” to export the file.
Step 8: Check the Destination Folder
After the file has been exported, navigate to the destination folder you selected to make sure the JPEG file was saved correctly.
Step 9: Rename the File if Needed
If you need to rename the file, you can do this by right-clicking on the file and selecting “Rename”.
Step 10: Delete the Original HEIC File
After you’ve successfully converted and saved the file as a JPEG, you may want to delete the original HEIC file to save space on your computer.
Step 11: Use JPEG Files as Needed
Now that you have a JPEG version of the file, you can use it as needed, such as attaching it to an email or uploading it to a website.
Step 12: Repeat the Process for Other HEIC Files
If you have additional HEIC files you need to convert, simply repeat the above steps for each file you want to convert to JPEG.
HEIC is a newer file format that provides efficient compression without affecting image quality. However, not all devices or programs may be compatible with HEIC files. In such cases, it’s necessary to convert the file to another format, such as JPEG. Fortunately, if you’re using a Mac, the process of converting HEIC to JPEG is relatively easy. All you need to do is open the file in Preview, export the file as JPEG, and save it to your desired destination folder.
Tips and Tricks
1. Consider converting HEIC files in batches using Automator to streamline the process.
2. If you frequently need to convert HEIC files, consider using a third-party program such as iMazing HEIC Converter.
3. HEIC files can be opened and converted on Windows devices using the free Microsoft HEIF Image Extensions app.
4. Keep in mind that converting HEIC to JPEG may result in a loss of image quality, especially if you choose a low-quality export setting.
5. If you delete the original HEIC file after converting it to JPEG, make sure you have a backup of the file just in case.
6. Consider adjusting the color or brightness of the image in Preview before exporting it as JPEG to ensure the best quality.
7. If you need to edit the image after converting it to JPEG, make sure to work with a copy of the file instead of the original to avoid any unintended changes.
8. You can also use online converters to convert HEIC to JPEG if you don’t have access to a Mac computer or don’t want to download any additional software.
9. Keep in mind that JPEG files may not provide the same quality as other formats such as PNG, so consider the specific needs of your project before converting.
10. When sharing JPEG files, keep in mind that they may take up less storage space than other formats, but they can also be more susceptible to data loss. Consider compressing the file as needed to balance quality with file size.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Changing HEIC to JPG on Mac
1. Compatibility: JPG is widely supported by various platforms, devices, and software, making it easy to view and share images across different systems.
2. Size Reduction: HEIC files are smaller than JPEG files, but the conversion of HEIC to JPG can reduce the file size even further, making it easier to upload or share.
3. Non-proprietary: JPEG is an open standard format and is not tied to any particular brand or technology, allowing for greater flexibility and compatibility.
4. Quality: JPEG files can be compressed to save space, but the level of compression and resulting image quality can be adjusted according to the user’s preferences.
5. Editable: JPG files are editable and can be easily modified using various photo editing software.
6. Viewing: JPG files are easy to view using standard image viewers or browsers, making them accessible to a wider audience.
7. Printing: JPG files can be printed at high resolution, making them suitable for printing photos or graphics.
8. Versatility: JPG files are suitable for any type of image or photograph, regardless of lighting or detail.
9. Universal: The JPEG file format is widely accepted and used by photographers, designers, and publishers worldwide.
10. Accessibility: By converting HEIC to JPG, users can access their images on devices that do not support the HEIC format, such as older or non-Apple devices.
1. Quality: Converting HEIC to JPG can result in some loss of quality, especially if the compression settings are too high.
2. Compatibility: HEIC is a newer file format and may not be supported by older software or devices, leading to potential compatibility issues.
3. Lossless Compression: HEIC uses a lossless compression algorithm, meaning that image quality is not compromised even when the file size is reduced. Converting to JPEG may lead to significant quality loss for users who value every detail in their images.
4. Limited Editing: JPEG files have limited editing potential compared to other file formats like TIFF or RAW.
5. Storage: JPEG files can take up more storage space than HEIC files.
6. Color Loss: Converting HEIC to JPG may affect color accuracy, depending on the color profiles and settings used by the user.
7. Resolution: JPEG files may suffer from resolution loss if saved at a lower quality setting, which can affect their suitability for printing or displaying on larger screens.
8. Compression Artefacts: JPEG files can suffer from compression artifacts, which can cause visible distortions or noise in the image, especially at higher compression levels.
9. Image Manipulation: JPEG files can be easily manipulated, which can lead to the spread of disinformation through digital media.
10. Specific Use: JPEG files may not be suitable for some professional uses, such as printing high-quality photos or archiving files, depending on the user’s needs or preferences.
1. What is HEIC?
HEIC is a new image file format that is used by iPhone and iPad devices that use the latest iOS operating system. HEIC stands for High Efficiency Image Format and it is designed to save storage space on your device by compressing high-quality images into smaller sizes.
2. Why do I need to convert HEIC to JPG?
Although HEIC images offer high-quality and smaller file sizes, they are not widely compatible with all devices and software. Converting HEIC images to JPG makes them more universal and easier to work with on other devices and programs.
3. Can I convert HEIC to JPG on Mac?
Yes, you can easily convert HEIC to JPG on Mac using various methods. The most common and simplest way is to use the built-in Preview app on your Mac.
4. How do I convert HEIC to JPG using Preview?
1. Open the HEIC image in Preview
2. Click on “File” in the top menu bar
3. Select “Export…”
4. Choose “JPEG” in the format dropdown
5. Click “Save”
5. Can I convert multiple HEIC images to JPG at once?
Yes, you can batch convert multiple HEIC images to JPG on Mac using the Preview app. Simply select all the HEIC images you want to convert, then follow the same steps as in FAQ #4, and all the images will be converted to JPG in one go.
6. Is there a faster way to convert HEIC to JPG on Mac?
Yes, there are various third-party apps that can quickly and easily convert HEIC to JPG on Mac, such as iMazing HEIC Converter and Apowersoft HEIC Converter. These apps can also convert HEIC to other formats and offer additional features such as batch processing and image compression.
7. Are there any online HEIC to JPG converters?
Yes, there are several online HEIC to JPG converters that you can use on any device with an internet connection. Some popular options include HEICtoJPEG.com, Convertio.co, and Cloudconvert.com.
8. Are there any risks in converting HEIC to JPG?
No, there are no risks in converting HEIC to JPG. The only thing to be aware of is that the image quality may be slightly reduced due to compression, but this is usually not noticeable.
9. Can I still keep the HEIC version after converting to JPG?
Yes, you can choose to keep the original HEIC version of the image after converting it to JPG. This can be useful if you want to have both versions for different purposes or to compare the quality difference between the two formats.
10. Where are the converted JPG images saved?
The converted JPG images are saved to your chosen location on your Mac, which you can specify when exporting the image from Preview or when using a third-party app.
11. Do I need to delete the original HEIC image after converting to JPG?
No, it is not necessary to delete the original HEIC image after converting to JPG. You can keep both versions if you want, or if you prefer, you can delete the HEIC image to save storage space on your device.
12. Can I convert HEIC to other formats besides JPG?
Yes, you can convert HEIC to other image formats besides JPG, such as PNG, TIFF, BMP, GIF, and more, depending on the app or conversion tool you use.
13. Is there a way to automatically convert HEIC to JPG on Mac?
Yes, you can set up an automatic conversion process from HEIC to JPG on your Mac using scripting tools such as Automator or AppleScript. However, this requires some technical knowledge and may not be suitable for beginners.
Converting HEIC to JPG on Mac is a simple process that doesn’t require any technical skills or additional software. The built-in Preview app on Mac can easily convert your HEIC files to JPG format, allowing you to view and share your photos with ease.
Remember, if you frequently take photos with your iPhone or iPad, make sure to change your default camera settings to capture images in JPG format, especially if you plan to transfer them to your Mac or share them with others who may not have the ability to view HEIC files.
Thank you for taking the time to read this article on how to change HEIC to JPG on Mac. We hope you found this information useful and that you’re now able to convert your HEIC files to JPG with ease. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them below. Until next time, happy converting!